Thursday, January 13, 2011

Measuring Accomplishment.

I have at least three to-do lists going at any given point in time.  I realized this today when I was making a today to-do list off of my longer-term to-do list.  I was filling my list with all the things I wanted to get accomplished today so that I could cross each item off one at a time, thus generating a sense of accomplishment and affirmation.  Being a stay-at-home-mom it can be difficult to feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.  I don't have an office where I can focus on specific tasks, take phone calls, and answer e-mails related to my job; there is no boss giving me guidance or direction on specific projects; I'm not a part of a team of co-workers laboring toward a common goal.  Even so, I could have never imagined this new job of mothering Stella would be so incredibly gratifying.  While there are days I miss dressing up, talking to adults, and feeling a tangible sense of accomplishment, I get to experience moment-by-moment interactions with my daughter.  There is nothing I ever experienced in the work world that compares to the satisfaction and joy I feel being with Stella each day.  I can't imagine missing her crawling or standing up for the first time, seeing her dance to her musical toys, or feeling her rest her head on my shoulder just because.  I love having the opportunity to breastfeed her, to see her get excited about playing with the dogs, to take her with me wherever I go, to make her baby food, and to introduce her to all these "firsts" in her life.  This job is far from glamorous; I often smell like spit-up, I don't feel very pretty most days, and I don't dress up for work much anymore, but thankfully my main client doesn't really care what I look like (or smell like, for that matter...).  What is being accomplished in our home day-by-day cannot be measured by any progress report, annual review, or to-do list.

Didn't Stella's dad do a great job dressing her?

No comments:

Post a Comment