Thursday, March 17, 2011

Waiting: Trust and Anxiety.

We're in a season of waiting in the Carpenter house.  We are waiting on our home to sell, we are waiting on word from the bank, we are waiting on approval for a possible apartment...there's lots of waiting going on in our life right now.  Waiting inspires two things in me:  trust and anxiety.

I'm inspired to trust that God's plan is bigger (and sometimes different) than our own.  Over the past few years I've learned to trust that good things can, and often do, come out of the most challenging circumstances.  Ultimately, I trust that our decision to put our family before our house is one that will pay off long-term; I have already seen it pay off in the way that Stella is growing and flourishing before our eyes.

When I step out of the place of trust, I fall into the pit of anxiety.  When is this waiting period going to be over?  Why is there no clear-cut answer to any of our questions?  How on earth did we get ourselves into this situation?  Where will we be when this all ends?  What if ____________ (fill in the blank)?

It's definitely a leap of faith to choose trust over anxiety; I find that trust comes more easily when it feels like most things are out of your control anyway.  So, tonight I choose trust...and ice cream. 

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4: 6-7

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."  Prov. 3: 5

"When I am afraid, I put my trust in you...in God I trust, I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?" Ps. 56: 3, 11

No comments:

Post a Comment