Monday, April 18, 2011

Playground FAIL

Stella and I went to the playground today for the first time.  I thought she would LOVE the swings because she literally laughs when I rock her in her rocking chair and she gets such a kick out of being flipped around Tim's shoulders every time he walks into a room.  She likes to be tossed up in the air and she loves to spin...so what's not to like about swings, right?  WRONG!  I had my camera with me and I honestly thought about taking a picture, but I couldn't subject her to the agony of the experience for a moment longer so a description and reenactment photo will have to suffice.

We walked up the hill to the playground and an expression of joy crossed her face.  She was squealing with delight at the other children and continued to do so until I put her in the baby swing.  Her legs went stiff as her bottom dropped into the seat.  She sat as straight as a pencil and wouldn't let me bend her legs or scooch her bum further into the swing.  I gave her a tiny push...and I mean tiny...and it looked like she stopped breathing for about ten seconds.  Her face was red and contorted in a really weird way, kind of like this:

please excuse the bad hair day...it looks like a helmet.
Then the noises started.  It was kind of a gutteral sound that just repeated over and over.  I let her swing back and forth a few times and tried to help her through her issues, but it clearly was a playground fail.  She reacted the same way when I tried swinging with her on my lap in the big-kid swing.  She also had a similar reaction to the rocking horse toy and the slide at the playground.  Oh well!  I guess we'll have to give it another go some other day!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Oh man, that is hysterical (not that I take pleasure in your child's fear/confusion/terror at the playground :) Isn't it funny that we extrapolate what we think our children will like. And then, in the moment we anticipated them "having fun"... it's a train wreck! The mystery of mommy-hood :) *LOVE your picture by the way!!! It prompted me to read the story :)*

    ReplyDelete