Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cell Phone Mom





Stella and I went to the riverway to meet our friends, Pam and James, for a little walk this afternoon.  We arrived about twenty minutes earlier than our friends and I decided to let Stella wander around while I made some phone calls to my nana and my mom.  Stella was having a blast exploring the dock area.  After I got off the call with my grandmother, we were throwing rocks (I know, naughty habits I'm teaching her) and picking them up when my phone rang.  It was an attorney from our church and I had to take the call.  We've been asking questions about all the "what-if's" from our home foreclosure and this man has been the kindest and most thoughtful attorney I've spoken with (and I've talked to several in the past months).  Anyhoo - I'm realizing by this time that I'm the dreaded "cell phone mom"...the moms I see all over town with a child wandering or playing alone while they gab away on their cell phones.  I made a mental note to not be "that" mom for too much longer; unfortunately, I was not finished with my note-to-self before Stella found the one mud puddle in sight and took off running.  I caught up to her too late to stop the ensuing mess.  My one attempt to remove her from the mud puddle resulted in Stella screeching her protests so loudly she was attracting attention from all around us.  So, I did what any good cell phone mom would do:  I let her play in said mud puddle until my conversation ended about five minutes later.  She had a blast for five minutes and I was able to finish my phone call.  I promptly changed her pants when my friend arrived, and I also changed my identity to fully-present-non-cell-phone-mom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment