Friday, February 17, 2012

Simple Life.


I look around our tiny livingroom and one thing that catches my eye is the book Simple Life which sits on our end table.  To be honest, I haven't read the book (Tim likes it) but the title alone reminds me to make the choice to live simply every day.  I stumbled over writing the word "choice" because, in reality, there are many ways we have no other choice but to live simply.  We could, of course, choose to put purchases on a credit card and worry about the consequences later, but having been there and done that before we both are content to live within our means...even if that means we don't have as much as most of our friends. 

In spite of a feeling of contentment most days, there are certainly moments where other feelings creep in...ugly feelings:  jealousy, pride, judgment.  I am quick to compare myself with other people and to assume the worst of everyone else but myself.  A quick reminder that God is in control and He knows just what I need is generally enough to get me refocused on Christ's priorities for my life.  Many of the "things" I count as blessings in my life have invaluable worth - I have a loving husband, a joy-filled daughter, the life I always dreamed of as a stay at home mom, and all of my needs are met; my relationship with Christ, my highest priority, is richer than I could imagine and it's growing.  Why, then is it so easy for me to fall back into the usual patterns of judgment, pride, and jealousy when I see people who have it seemingly easy, materially?  I don't have the answer to that, besides that it's due to the leanings of my sinful heart.  I wonder what God might be protecting us from by calling us to a life that prohibits us from great material gain?  I guess what I'm struggling with is a constant contentment. 



I took two pictures for this blog post - the one at the top of this entry is a picture of the book binding up close.  When I backed up, to show more of our livingroom, I realized the answer to my question is literally sitting right in front of me.  What I saw in the background of the second photo took my breath away.  We hung the portrait of Jesus and the woman caught in adultery in our livingroom window - it's a daily reminder of God's grace in my life.  I fell in love with it instantly when I first saw in a window at our church...eventually, when the church was through with it, it found its way to our home.  In taking this photo I realized that I am that woman.  Every time I step outside of contentment and into sin, I am that woman caught in adultery.  I cheat on God, saying, "What you have given me is not enough, if you could just give me more then I would be truly content."   I feel truly content whenever I am resting in God and His plans for me, unwavering.  I guess that's my ultimate answer. 

1 comment: