Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Crazy Day.

A few crazy things happened today.  Tim is in France celebrating the marriage of his brother, Roy, to our new sister-in-law, Shona.  While he has been away I have been unpacking boxes and prepping our new apartment to make it more like "home."  I think my exhaustion is catching up to me.

The dearest person, Nicky, came over to help me do a few projects around the house and while she was here I left the door open to the basement so that we could easily travel in and out.  I mistakenly thought that our dog, Griffin, was upstairs, but when I went looking for him after a few moments of having the door open I realized he was NOT in the apartment.  He was also not anywhere around our yard.  My heart sank to my shoes as I had momentary flashbacks of losing our other dog, Tank, when he was hit by a car a few years ago.  Thankfully, "hawk-eye" Nicky spotted Griffin several yards away (by yards I mean people's yards, not the three-feet kind of yards) and I took off after him.  He came willingly but was clearly sporting the "What's the big deal, mom?" look on his face.  Yikes and thank God He didn't get too far and he was unharmed by his five, glorious minutes of total freedom.

While Stella napped this morning I was doing some organizational projects, including cleaning out a heavy, brown, storage ottoman.  I had it turned upside-down and was banging it against the railing of our steps when I banged it down on the top joint of my right ring-finger.  It hurt so incredibly that I had to rest my head on the railing; I saw stars and thought I was going to vomit and then my finger went numb.  I'm amazed after rest, ice, and elevation it feels almost normal now (and ibuprofen, my hero).  Later in the day I damaged my left ring finger when I was moving a chair from the basement...guess I was meant to have matching war-wounds from the move?

On a slightly different, more positive, but also crazy note, I met our neighbors who live two doors down in the same row of town-house style apartments.  The guy was pumping his bike tires in the backyard when I approached to introduce myself.  I said, "Hi, my name is Jenny and this is Stella - we're your new neighbors."  He said, "Hi, I'm Tim!"  I said, "Oh, how funny, my husband's name is Tim."  My neighbor, Tim, told me he was going to go get his wife so we could meet, as well, and I heard him yell upstairs inside, "Hey Jen, are you available?  I want you to meet our new neighbors."  Yep, their names are Tim and Jen.  She's Jenna, but still pretty nuts, huh?  They are a young, newly married couple (about our age) with no kids.  Another odd connection, Jenna grew up only 45 minutes away from my Tim in upstate NY.  They moved to Newmarket in October and they truly seem like people I'd be friends with even if they weren't my neighbors.  I'm so grateful for this and excited to get to know them in the coming months of sharing a building!

The end to my crazy day:  BED.

No comments:

Post a Comment