Sunday, October 16, 2011

Crown Financial Class

Today, Tim and I (and Stella, too) went to our first small group study for Crown Financial Ministries.  We are really excited to take this class, especially in advance of the huge financial commitment to adopt a child.  I have heard of many financial planning classes, even those marketed as "Christian", but I'm supremely impressed by the biblical basis for the Crown material.  From the output of the book you are asked to sign a Quit-Claim Deed - surrendering all of your earthly possessions to God; ultimately, every single thing we own is God's anyway, so it is a spiritual exercise to give full ownership and control to the one who gave us everything.  We are memorizing verses each week that correspond to the specific lesson we are learning.  We all commit to praying for each member of our small group every day of the ten week study.  Scripture permeates every page of the book Your Money Counts by Howard Dayton.  I am halfway through the book and I have advance questions about the spiritual implications of investing and saving money for myself while there are so many people in the world in great NEED (haven't read that far yet...).  These questions aside, I'm excited to build a scriptural foundation for how we handle our finances.  Afterall, as someone who calls myself a follower of Jesus, shouldn't my life (and all its pieces, especially the way I handle money) have a biblical basis?  Just because something works in my life, or because I like doing something a certain way, doesn't mean it's God's best!

No comments:

Post a Comment