Monday, October 10, 2011

Joyful Contentment


"...godliness with contentment is great gain." 1Timothy 6:6

I've spent some time recently thinking about being content.  I go back and forth between whether it is a good thing to feel content this side of heaven.  I think contentment can bring with it complacency - being content can lead to feeling like there is nothing to work on, nothing to improve, and no place to go but here and now.  Contentment, as many people define it, can include lots of "stuff" that makes us feel secure, safe, and protected - and security, safety, protection aren't things God guarantees when you walk closely with Him.  I wrestle with the idea that heaven is going to be radically better and more amazing than my human brain can grasp.

And, at the same time, I have never felt more joy in my life since becoming a mom and quitting my day job.  I love the freedom of this life with Stella and Tim.  I love being with my daughter and being more available for my family.  I truly enjoy the community where we live and all the opportunities to minister to those around us.  Being joyfully content is a beautiful thing and, as I was walking the dogs and praying today, I had a revelation that experiencing godly contentment comes with knowing you are in the center of God's will.  I long for heaven but I'm so grateful to be experiencing pieces of heaven right her and right now in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment