Thursday, November 17, 2011

Oxytocin.

Stella and I took a visit to Dover Women's Health to say "hi" to our midwife, Cindy.  It was wonderful to see her and to reconnect (and, no, there was no other reason I went to see her besides saying "hi!").  It is a fact that women who experience a natural childbirth also experience a surge of oxytocin, AKA: The Hormone of Love.  I was told of this before I gave birth...that you go from extreme pain to total love of everyone!  Obviously, this is God's way of helping women to connect with their just-born child - to feel a surge of love and acceptance for this little person that is about to totally change their life.  But oxytocin isn't blind, it also helps a women to connect with her husband, her midwife, her nurses and other folks who happen to be in the birthing room.  That was true of my experience.  I think it's probably especially powerful during a natural childbirth, which is all I've personally known.  I went from begging Cindy to "help me!" and to "get her out of me!" to absolute adoration of her for all HER hard work during Stella's birth.  I love how she helped me through and also got serious with me.  At one point I can clearly remember he saying, "Jenny, shut up and push!"  She spoke into the deepest places of my heart and knew just when to comfort, encourage and exhort.  Thank God for good midwives!  Thank God for Cindy.



No comments:

Post a Comment