Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Advent - 200th Post!

Recently, we have been busy preparing for the Christmas season and I'm listening to old-fashioned Christmas carols (my favorite) as I type this.  The season of Christmas is simultaneously one of my favorite seasons and one of the most stressful times of year for me.  The mix of the Christmas story in all its mysterious beauty paired with rampant consumerism  is enough to make my head spin.  I'm thankful, though, for a peaceful home that is a haven in which to celebrate the true meaning of this advent season - the waiting for the Christ-child's birth.  I remember clearly being aware of the waiting aspect of advent when I was pregnant with Stella, awaiting the birth of our own child...it brought an entirely new meaning to Christmas when I could relate to a small piece of what Mary must have been experiencing during the weeks preceding the birth of her son, God's son.  In this waiting season I am reminded of how much of my own life is mirroring advent right now.  My family is now in waiting for several things - we wait for God to provide the money to meet some of our goals (thank you, Crown Financial Ministries), we wait for God to provide direction for our upcoming adoption, we wait to celebrate the day of Jesus' birth in just a few weeks.  God has been so faithful and I'm trying to enjoy the waiting season and to remember how it connects me to the story of God during this time of year.



We bought a (GULP...) fake Christmas tree this year.  I thought I'd never utter those words, but don't you think it's adorable?  Also, we wanted something tall and skinny enough to fit on our landing so that we could gate it to keep it safe from baby hands and dog mouths.  I think we accomplished our goal and I'm thankful we went this route.  Never say never, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment