Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sacajawea

Thanks to the awesome generosity of friends from church, Tim and I had a date in Boston for the Red Sox v. Yankees game on Saturday afternoon.  I had been looking forward to the game for a few weeks, but I'm not joking when I say things started to go wrong literally from the moment I woke up. 

I woke up at 4:30 that morning and could not fall back to sleep for a long while - too excited.  At some point, I did indeed drift off again.  I had set my alarm for 7am because I had a meeting in Portsmouth for a potential cleaning job that morning; only I accidentally turned the ringer off before I went to bed on Friday night.  Tim woke me up at 7:36 because he remembered me saying I needed to be up early...I had to be out the door by 7:45.  Don't you hate that feeling?  It's never good when your day starts in panic mode.

I made it to my meeting and, afterward, drove to my gym to take a Zumba class I had been looking forward to; however, I had the class schedule mixed up in my head and arrived over an hour early and didn't have time to stay for the actual class at 10:15. 

Home I went where I proceeded to rush around for a few hours trying to knock off a few things from my to-do list (to make myself feel better about the morning)...of course, I added too much to my plate in too short a time.  And, to top it all off, my dog ate my favorite lip-stick just as we were headed out the door.

We got to the Boston, after a very quiet ride, and immediately we had difficulty finding parking because we didn't bother to notice that not only was there a Red Sox/Yankees game that afternoon, but the Bruins were also in the playoffs and Comic Con was happening in the city - all on a beautiful, sunny, spring afternoon perfect for everyone, and their mother, to visit Boston. 

After we found an open parking garage, Tim and I had a disagreement on the streets on our way to the Prudential Center for lunch.  A project Tim wanted to research for church was somewhat of a wash when a very common spot he needed to visit was closed for a private party.  When we tried to take the T to Fenway (to save time) we thought we accidentally bought $20 worth of T-tokens (actually $1 Sacajawea Coins, we realized much later) - and we ended up walking afterall.  At that point I had HAD IT with the day.

And, the Red Sox lost - which, in a weird way, was the least disappointing thing that happened all day.

We did have fun at the game.  We even made it up on the big screen during Sweet Caroline...which is possibly one of the coolest things that's ever happened in my life!

Now that I've had twenty four hours to digest the experience, I'm unpacking what happened yesterday and I've come to several conclusions:
  • I get easily disappointed when things don't go according to plan.
  • I hate that I get so easily disappointed when things don't go according to plan.
  • When I get disappointed because things don't go according to plan I feel even more disappointed in myself for being that kind of a person.
  • Having rigid expectations about how things are going to go doesn't usually work in my favor.
  • My husband is generally optimistic and flexible...I am generally not.
  • It helps to feel understood when I have a bad day.
  • I need to give myself (and others) more grace. 
I'm seriously considering carrying around the $15 in Sacajawea Coins as a reminder to myself of these lessons learned, except I seriously need some new lipstick.


No comments:

Post a Comment