Saturday, September 1, 2012

What I Learned On Our Carpenter Family Outing.

Tim, Stella, and I took a trip to Cabella's today; it's one of Stella's favorite places because of all the stuffed animals (taxidermy style, that is).  Overall, we had a great outing as a family and yet I was once again reminded of why I don't enjoy shopping.  I find myself drooling over clothing I cannot afford and don't really need and it breeds a sense of discontent in my heart that wasn't there before I set foot in the store.  Shopping leads me to think about other things in my life that I want, and I start to dwell on things that, in the end, will not truly bring me any lasting happiness at all.  I walk into the store feeling joy and thankfulness and I leave the store with a desire for more stuff.
 
What a gift to have a husband like Tim who will let me verbally process my thoughts the entire ride home; it is a blessing to walk through this life with someone who feels similarly about what is really important and necessary.  I take pleasure in seeing Stella's simple joy about a trip to the "zoo."  I also am reminded to follow her example as she is fully capable, at least at this age, of leaving a store without buying a single thing, and she is an even happier person going out than she was going in...just thankful for the experience!
 
Did I mention all three of us wore the same exact outfit today?  Oh yes we did, and it was Tim's idea (no lie!):






No comments:

Post a Comment